Barista Basics Level One and Two- Full Day Course Overview
Barista Basics- Full Day course is a great introduction to professional barista skills for the industry working with speciality coffee. We build the basic techniques giving you a confident, solid foundation in all areas required to be a Pro Barista.
Becoming a barista is not simply about making coffee. A truly skilled barista who will stand out from their peers is one whom understands the product in it’s entirety. Our Barista Basics – Full Day course will start you on this journey by developing your knowledge of how coffee is grown, processed, selected, roasted and brewed.
Don’t worry, once we have covered the theory it’s time to get hand’s on and begin learning practical techniques such as grinding, distributing, tamping and extracting espresso. This course will focus on identifying areas to refine and how to perfect your extraction. If you can develop an eye, sense of smell and taste for flaws in the extraction, you will know how to perfect your cup!
After your theory session is over, we now turn to practical training. On the full day barista course we will be looking to refine your dose, distribution and tamping technique. How to steam milk correctly and prepare multiple orders under a timed assessment will also be integral to your day.
Scales and brew ratios will be introduced to help us select and dial in a coffee recipe. We will be demonstrating the effect of different extractions of coffee and using our palettes to recognise defects, and most importantly how to improve the finished coffee.
What Will I Learn?
Key Skills: In the Morning:
- Coffee origins – An overview of growing, harvesting, processing and roasting.
- Workspace – How to setup an efficient workspace, coffee storage, life span and hygiene.
- Grinding – An overview of how grind size affects your coffee, grinding basics, dosing, distributing and tamping.
- Coffee machine – Overview of the coffee machine, basic setup and daily routine checks.
- Brewing – The difference between the most popular espresso based drinks, extracting espresso, beginning to understand over / under extraction, the changes in taste, appearance and smell, how to make adjustments and work towards consistency.
- Milk – How to texture milk, creating microfoam. How to pour milk in order to incorporate with coffee correctly.
Key Skills: The Afternoon:
- Grinding – Exploring the effect of grind setting for different brewing methods. How to fine tune your grind settings and make adjustment. How to maintain, break down and clean your grinder.
- Brewing – More exploration into the stages of extraction, brew ratios and how they can help improve accuracy. Pulling the perfect shot with consistency and precision. Looking at how different coffees will impact the cup.
- Milk – Looking at the chemistry of milk, steaming to perfection with dairy, plant-based milks and the basic latte art pouring method and etching.
- Barista workflow – Full Coffee Menu. Using different sized jugs, handling multiple orders and working efficiently.
- Maintenance – How to break down and clean your coffee machine to help keep it hygienic and well maintained.
This Full Day Course is the Level One Barista Course (half day) and Level 2 Barista Course (half day) rolled into one and includes a discount!
Please note our Terms & Conditions for all courses:
You do not need to bring anything with you! We supply all that you will need for your chosen training course.
We ask that you allow plenty of time for your journey to us and arrive 10mins before the course is due to start.
Please note we do not accept students who are over 20 mins late and this is also non-refundable as this disrupts teaching & students time who have arrived on time. Look at our contacts page for directions.
You are entitled to cancel your appointment and receive a full refund within 14 days of booking. Cancellations after this time will incur a 20% admin fee.
No-Show Appointments are not refundable or Re-Bookable. If you are unable to make your appointment please contact us on 01962 883655 and we would be happy to reschedule your appointment for another day.
Vouchers are non-refundable and non-transferable. We provide a generous 12 months validity on all school vouchers, they will not be extended beyond this.