Barista Diploma 2 Day Course is run on Wednesday 10am till 4.30pm.and Thursday 9.30am till 4.00pm.
This is the start of your wonderful journey into becoming a true coffee guru!
Breakdown of Barista Diploma 2 Day Course
Level 1 Barista Course – a comprehensive introduction into the life of a Barista, developing your knowledge of how coffee is grown, processed, selected, roasted and brewed. After the theory, it’s time to get hands on and have some fun!
- Coffee Origins– a brief overview of growing, harvesting, processing and roasting,
- Workspace– developing an efficient workspace, health and hygiene rules, storage and lifespan of the coffee.
- Grinding– an overview of how grind size affects your coffee, covering grinding basics including dosing and tamping.
- Coffee Machine– overview of the coffee machine, basic setup and daily routine checks,
- Brewing– focuses on espresso extraction: understanding and recognizing over/under extraction with changes in appearance and taste; developing your coffee palette; making adjustments and working towards developing consistency,
- Milk– an introduction to texturing milk and creating micro-foam with basic pouring skills to incorporate milk and coffee correctly.
Break for Lunch
Level 2 – a little more theory, where we expand on the morning’s information learning more about: the roasting process, different varieties of coffee, identifying flavours/textures and the science behind the brewing process.
Moving back into practical work, we focus on expanding and refining techniques in dosing, distribution and tamping; moving on to milk technique and picking up speed with multiple orders without compromising quality of the product.
Key Skills: The Afternoon:
- Grinding – Exploring the effect of grind setting for different brewing methods. How to fine tune your grind settings and make adjustment. How to maintain, break down and clean your grinder.
- Brewing – More exploration into the stages of extraction, brew ratios and how they can help improve accuracy. Pulling the perfect shot with consistency and precision. Looking at how different coffees will impact the cup.
- Milk – Looking at the chemistry of milk, steaming to perfection with dairy, plant-based milks and the basic latte art pouring method
- Barista workflow – Full Coffee Menu. Using different sized jugs, handling multiple orders and working efficiently.
- Maintenance – How to break down and clean your coffee machine to help keep it hygienic and well maintained.
Advancing the skill – moving into the advanced areas of becoming a Barista, to grow and refine their skills, enabling them to produce the highest standard of coffee from a broad menu with consistency and confidence.
Hands on in our cafe, get work with the public in a fast moving environment:
- Coffee– Customer Service Levels – develop a consistent work flow with orders on demand, making great coffee matched with great customer service, front-of-house and table service.
- Grinding– advanced grinding techniques and how to dial-in to a specific recipes for ristretto and espresso.
- Milk– steaming milk with confidence, both dairy and non-dairy milks; splitting milks between different jugs and serving multiple beverages.
Latte Art; – this day’s focus is lots of practice! Take your latte art to the next level and produce art with every pour.
- Pouring– velocity and direction of the pour; creating a good canvas to pour art.
- Art of free pour– creating the heart or the leaf with your pouring skills.
- Front-of-house– meeting and greeting customers correctly, making sure a customer is never left unnoticed.
- Table service– serving the correct way.
- Body language and attitude– what you feel, the customer feels.
- Dealing with customer making coffee and giving basic advice when ordering coffee beans.
- Dealing with complex customers–
- Practice, practice, practice – presentation of your Diploma Certificate.
Can’t do the course all in one go? Try the Barista Full day course HERE
Please note our Terms & Conditions for all courses:
You do not need to bring anything with you! We supply all that you will need for your chosen training course.
We ask that you allow plenty of time for your journey to us and arrive 10mins before the course is due to start.
Please note we do not accept students who are over 20 mins late and this is also non-refundable as this disrupts teaching & students time who have arrived on time. Look at our contacts page for directions.
You are entitled to cancel your appointment and receive a full refund within 14 days of booking. Cancellations after this time will incur a 20% admin fee.
No-Show Appointments are not refundable or Re-Bookable. If you are unable to make your appointment please contact us on 01962 883655 and we would be happy to reschedule your appointment for another day.
Vouchers are non-refundable and non-transferable. We provide a generous 12 months validity on all school vouchers, they will not be extended beyond this.