WCS Barista Basics – Half Day Course Overview
WCS Barista Basics – Half Day course has been designed to introduce our students to the exciting world of being a professional barista. A wonderful journey starts here!
Becoming a barista is not simply about making coffee. A truly skilled barista who will stand out from their peers is one whom understands the product in it’s entirety. Our WCS Barista Basics – Half Day will start you on this journey by developing your knowledge of how coffee is grown, processed, selected, roasted and brewed.
Don’t worry, once we have covered the theory it’s time to get hand’s on and begin learning practical techniques such as grinding, distributing, tamping and extracting espresso. Our barista course will focus on identifying areas to refine and how to perfect your extraction. If you can develop an eye, sense of smell and taste for flaws in the extraction, you will know how to perfect your cup!
Our experienced tutors will share with you the important foundation skills and knowledge needed to become a professional barista.
- Coffee origins – An overview of growing, harvesting, processing and roasting.
- Workspace – How to setup an efficient workspace, coffee storage, life span and hygiene.
- Grinding – An overview of how grind size affects your coffee, grinding basics, dosing, distributing and tamping.
- Coffee machine – Overview of the coffee machine, basic setup and daily routine checks.
- Brewing – The difference between the most popular espresso based drinks, extracting espresso, beginning to understand over / under extraction, the changes in taste, appearanceand smell, how to make adjustments and work towards consistency.
- Milk – How to texture milk, creating microfoam. How to pour milk in order to incorporate with coffee correctly.
- Maintenance – How to break down and clean your coffee machine to help keep it hygienic and well maintained.
If you want to refine your skills even more then check out our WCS Barista Basics – Full Day!
Please note our Terms & Conditions for all courses:
You do not need to bring anything with you! We supply all that you will need for your chosen training course.
We ask that you allow plenty of time for your journey to us and arrive 10mins before the course is due to start.
Please note we do not accept students who are over 20 mins late and this is also non-refundable as this disrupts teaching & students time who have arrived on time. Look at our contacts page for directions.
You are entitled to cancel your appointment and receive a full refund within 14 days of booking. Cancellations after this time will incur a 20% admin fee.
No-Show Appointments are not refundable or Re-Bookable. If you are unable to make your appointment please contact us on 01962 883655 and we would be happy to reschedule your appointment for another day.
Vouchers are non-refundable and non-transferable. We provide a generous 12 months validity on all school vouchers, they will not be extended beyond this.