Coffee Roasting Masterclass Overview
Our coffee roasting masterclass has been developed for anyone looking to become a micro roaster or competing professional baristas. It is an intensive two day course packed with all the technical knowledge and practical training you will need to start your own coffee roasting.
Our course not only focusses on the skills required to roast coffee, but encourages creative thinking to develop your own signature taste and soon your own brand of roasted coffee.
Your first morning will begin the evaluation of coffee beans, making decisions on roast profiles for the course. From here you will be learning about the chemical reactions taking place inside the bean during the roast, the technical expertise required and equipment used. Day Two will begin with cupping coffee beans, making notes on aroma and taste, and working towards roasting your own signature coffee.
Our Coffee Roasting Instructor
All our coffee roasting courses are taught by Winchester Coffee Roasters Master Roaster, Mark Goulding who has now been roasting coffee for over 6 years. After completing his training in Australia with one of the most well regarding roasters, Peter Wolff and Roastmax, Mark moved back to the UK to setup Winchester Coffee Roasters. Since he began in 2012, his dedication to creating the perfect roast has seen his coffee sold throughout over 60 cafés in Hampshire and surrounding counties.
A typical course will be as follow:
- Our story, how we have gone from roasting at home to supplying over 60 business
- Selecting Green coffee beans
- Moisture Content of Green Coffee
- Density Measurements
- Roaster Operations
- Temperature Control
- Roasting Logs
- Method of Heat transfer (conductive, radiation and convection)
- Endothermic and Exothermic reaction
- First Crack & Second Crack
- Maillard Reaction
- Roast density
- Fire Risk and Safety Procedures
- Preventative Maintenance
- Sample roasting on the Quest M3
- Cupping your results
- Airflow Influence
- Drum Speed Control
- The effects on acidity, body and Aroma
- Hands on Roasting your own Blends
- A fully comprehensive list of all the equipment you will need to set up your own roastery.
- Supplier list for all green beans, equipment and packaging.
This two day course will be conducted on a Quest M3 electric sample roaster and a Roastmax 5kg gas shop Roaster.