Barista Course Overview
Our level two barista course builds upon the basic techniques learnt at our level one barista course and looks to expand upon them.
As with all our barista courses, the tutor will first cover some important theory with you. At level two you be learning more about the roasting process, different varieties of coffee, how to identify flavours/textures and the introduction of the science behind brewing coffee.
After your theory session is over, we now turn to practical training. On the level two barista course we will be looking to refine your dose, distribution and tamping technique. How to steam milk correctly and prepare multiple orders under a timed assessment will also be integral to your day.
Scales and brew ratios will be introduced to help us select and dial in a coffee recipe. We will be demonstrating the effect of different extractions of coffee and using our palettes to recognise defects, and most importantly how to improve the finished coffee.
In addition to making espresso based drinks, you will be using filter brew methods now trending throughout the world such as pour over, Aeropress and siphon methods. Although espresso based drinks dominate most of our cafés, understanding these alternative brewing methods will put you a step ahead of the game and can unlock some amazing coffee flavours.
- Coffee Beans – Single origin coffees, the different processing methods and the roasting process.
- Grinding – Using grind settings for different brew methods including aeropress and french press. How to fine tune your grind settings and make adjustment. How to maintain, break down and clean your grinder.
- Brewing – Introduction to brew ratios and how they can help improve consistency. Pulling the perfect shot and ristrettos.
- Milk – Looking at the chemistry of milk, steaming to perfection with whole, skimmed and soya milk and basic latte art.
- Barista workflow – Using different sized jugs, handling multiple orders and working efficiently.